Friday, June 23, 2006

Swiss Ecolight Fly-in, Mollis - Day 1 Sturgate to Mulhouse

The day had come... I had decided to fly to Switzerland for the Swiss Microlight Federation's first fly-in for foreign microlights at Mollis AFB. I planned on heading to Mulhouse to meet up with Ed Cartwright and Nic Snow whom I had met the previous weekend at Spamfield.

I set off on my first leg of Sturgate to Lydd at 7:25. It was bright, clear and smooth - easy flying. After negotiating the complicated yet tiny terminal at Lydd I set off to Le Touquet via Folkestone and Cap Griz Nez. I left just before a C42 group, who went direct at 2000'. I chose 4000' and spoke to Manston with their reassuringly loud and strong voice. I landed 5 minutes behind them!

A quick stop and on to Reims Prunay. An hour and a half later I approached Reims where I contacted CTR traffic to be greeted by a clear sounding French lady. She sent me via VRPs N then W then NW, I'm sure I never found any of them but she seemed happy with my track. As I was approaching W I was asked to descend quickly from 3k to 2k because of jet traffic. I dashed down and turned towards NW. She asked me to look in my 1 o'clock and as I did two Mirage F1 passed by wheeling around each other. I'm sure they said something over the radio but really didn't understand.

At Prunay I battled through the odd fuelling ritual, with card & code. Whilst doing this I was entertained by an air display an ex-Patrouille de France Fouger Master, it was extremely noisy as it taxied to the park.



I had already flown 5 hours and it was getting on for 3:30 so I planned to have a few minutes rest. I opened a drink and pulled out the Mulhouse Habsheim info to read sat on the grass. Reading it I realised that it would be tight to get in by their published closing time of 5:40. Off I Dashed!

It was now getting well into the afternoon, It was hot and lumpy, I was getting tired and I had lots of restricted areas to get through before Mulhouse. All this didn't really help, and unlike previous transits, neither did the ATC. Nobody wanted to talk, everyone wanted to pass me on!



I approached the mountains before Mulhouse a little anxious of their height. As I threaded through I passed gliders and paragliders. Many paragliders seemed to be getting ready to go. Three had been going a while because they were well above me and I was almost at 5k! As the highest peaks passed me by the valley at Basel sprawled into the distance. This was very welcoming after the hills but it was almost 5:40 and I was expecting the airfield to close. I gave them a call expecting to hear nothing only to find that there was a UK contingent already in circuit! The tower gave no indication of closing so I routed south past the large aerial and on into the circuit.

As I pulled up there were already a number of planes from the UK, 2 Jabs, 3 C42 and a 912 Shadow. Here I met the Swansea boys, Colin L in DTOY and Rob in MSKY with another Colin. I had said hello to Colin L at Spanfield the previous week after my Billy-no-mates message on the e-group. I hitched a lift in their taxi into town to chance my arm at the Ibis, the Swansea boys had their accommodation set up before hand and there was no room left at the inn. After freshening up at the Ibis I struck out again to meet up with Ed, his dad John and Nic in the centre of Mulhouse.

After such a long day we didn't stay out long, but just long enough for a nightcap at the bar. Already enjoying the local hospitality we found Clive and Kevin the owners of the Jabirus. As talk turned away from the days flying and onto the next I took my leave and headed for bed.